Wednesday, July 25, 2007

BIG GIRL BED!!!

LONG BLOG ALERT!!! LONG BLOG ALERT!!!

Our baby is all of a sudden turning into Miss Independent! Wanting to sit in a normal chair at the table, not her booster. Wanting to walk at the grocery store, not sit in the cart...unless it's one of those car ones, but then she never wants to get out. Wanting to put her own clothes and shoes on. Oh yeah, and wanting to sleep in a BIG GIRL BED!!! I was soooooo not ready for this! As most of you know, I was fully planning for our little girl to stay in her crib for at least another 6 months and hoping for more like a year. We had never seen ANY attempt in climbing out of the crib or even really having the desire to sleep in a normal bed so we thought we were in the clear. WRONG!

We were in California this last weekend visiting family and on the 3rd night we were there I laid her down in the pack-n-play, waited nearby for about 30 seconds to see if she was going to start crying and right as I was walking away I hear the pitter patter of my little pumpkin running towards me, very pleased with herself, I might add. I was in complete awe! I seriously had no idea what to do. Should I be mad and tell her "no"? Should I be happy and excited? Should I cry...for a number of reasons? One: my little girl has just completed a HUGE rite of passage! This is BIG! Two: this probably means MANY sleepless nights dragging my screaming daughter who's banging on her bedroom door back to her bed and telling her to stay, then listening to her scream some more. No more 12-14 hour nights of sleep. No more 2-3 hour naps a day. This was all going through my head and though I realize it's very dramatic, it's exactly how I felt in those few moments she was running towards me.

Needless to say, she slept with Shawn and I that night, for the first time EVER and it was not pleasant. I think she almost broke one of my ribs. When we got back to Vegas we turned her crib into the big girl bed and looked forward to a not-so-fun evening. Well, I'm happy to say that we were wrong yet again. Cora surprised us in the absolute best way possible. She's been amazing! She cried for a bit at the door the first night but then went back to her bed and was fast asleep within minutes. We didn't hear a peep out of her the entire night. The only thing is when we check on her she's on the floor half the time. We pick her up and put her back in bed, but we're hoping she's not falling out each time and she's just getting down for some reason. Tonight will be the 3rd night and things couldn't be going any better. Naps have been great too. So once again my baby girl has surpassed all expectations of this pessimistic mother that I've become these last 2 years. Sorry such a long blog, but this is sort of a big thing for us, and if anything, I know my Mom likes to hear all the little details...and Amy Lou too :) Here's to the good luck continuing!


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay Cora!

My sister has small tiny rails on the sides of Luke's big boy bed. I think she got them at Baby's R Us. It certainly does what they are suppose to do and keep him from falling out.

Justin and Amy said...

I love that picture of her. Holy cow she looks so much loder sitting in her big girl bed. I love it! Pretty soon she'll be old enough to send up to Utah to stay with her A-mi-mi:)

Justin and Amy said...

I meant older- not loder:) this is why I need to proof read my comments!

Jeremy and Sarah said...

Look how sweet she is...I can not believe it, I am so proud of her and you for handling that so well. I pray that in three months the twins are still in their cribs because I do not think I will handle it as well as you and Shawn have!! Again we are so proud. Love sarah

Anonymous said...

Didn't Sariah just tell you how awful it is to sleep with a child. Were you not listening. Ha Ha!
Karen

lisa said...

This comment has no relationship to your blog but I have noticed that your brother in law is a big Yankee fan and wanted to share that this past Thursday the Royals played them...and owned them!!! We rarely sell out the K but I was there and it was packed. It was a great game! :)

Justin and Amy said...

I miss you Chelsea Lou... and my Cora Lee too!

Shawn said...

Lisa, the Cubs are in first place! Or tied for... Poor Royals...

Mr. and Mrs. Benona said...

Aww! She is getting so grown up!! What next she wants to wear pull ups and you can hum Im a big kid now. Then you use the extra diaper money for more toys :)

Maybe you should get one of those big body pillows to set on the ground just in case if she does roll over. But I would think a fall like that would wake anyone up. Or you are very lucky and have a heavy sleeping baby.

You're doing a great job raising Cora. Never doubt yourself and don't be pessimistic. She is a great kid :)